Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Senator Bill Bradley on Citizenship - Thursday and Friday of last week I attended the annual conference of the Florida City and County Management Association (FCCMA), the professional association for people who do this thing that I do for a living here in Florida. Along with the opportunity to share experiences with professional managers from around the state, the conference always features great guest speakers, and this year was no exception, with the opening keynote address delivered by former United States Senator, All-American, Olympic gold medal winner, New Your Knick, two-time NBA champion, and erstwhile presidential hopeful Bill Bradley.

Senator Bradley spoke on a number of subjects, including many of his experiences as an athlete, and he proved to be a great story teller. Beyond that, however, he talked about the concept of citizenship, and what it means to be a citizen. He struck a chord for me when he talked about how people suggest that government should be run like business, and our constituents treated like customers. He suggested that government has a much higher obligation to our citizens than as customers, something with which I have always agreed. That doesn't mean we can't apply business principles where they are appropriate, but our motivations and reasons to exist are quite different.

The Senator also talked about the role and responsibility of the citizen, and reminded us all that every time someone steps to the microphone at a commission meeting or calls us on the phone to complain, cajole, or even just downright agitate we should be grateful, as that person is exercising his or her citizenship, something that all too few people do. In fact, it is often the exercise of citizenship by a relatively small number that leads government at all levels sometimes to take actions based on that noisy few. Senator Bradley talked a great deal about how that effect in Washington makes both major political parties pay the most attention to those who might tend more to the extreme but who are the ones in the game, hence requiring that attention.

What does that mean for us here in Sarasota? If you've listened to the City Commission lately you've heard them discuss something called "Asset Based Community Development", which relies on people acting as citizens to affect change in their own community. You will be hearing more about that. We generally think of ourselves as a very active and engaged community, so here's a citizenship question for you; in our most recent city election, what percentage of the residents of the City of Sarasota stood up to cast a vote, something which many would agree is one of the most basic responsibilities of a Citizen? Write down your number somewhere - in a couple of days I'll post the answer.

ALSO! A big thank you to everyone who has participated in this experiment in communication and the right to address your government, the City Manager's Blog. My peers in the FCCMA last week picked it out for a special award for "Courage in Communication." Apparently this format is somewhat unique in our business, so thank you for being a part of it!

7 Comments:

Blogger denise kowal said...

Dear Mr. McNees:

I think your communication has been really great. I read many things you write for the paper and the shows you do are very informative. This blog has helped me understand the workings of the city so thank you.

I think the voter turnout is very low, 2.5 %.

31/5/06 11:25 AM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

Thanks for the comments, and for being brave enough to guess our voting numbers here in the city. Our turnout in the last election was a little better than you guessed (you were pretty pessimistic!) In the general election, 5,061 people voted, which is just over 9% of our permanent population and 16.4% of those who were registered. For the runoff that went up to 5,247. Dale, you win the prize as the closest - how about a day off to work the polls for Kathy Dent next fall? (Sorry, no funds for a real prize.) Beamer, I think many people share your thoughts about frustration with government at all levels, I think Senator Bradley would have said that not participating in the process only exacerbates the problem. I'm certainly not a civics teacher, but our percentages look pretty bad compared to other democratic countries, or even other parts of our own. But don't blame me for bringing it up, blame Senator Bradley for getting me started thinking about citizenship!

1/6/06 9:35 AM  
Blogger Ramin Kouzehkanani said...

Mike –

Congratulations on the recognition of your innovative idea to utilize the web to promote open communications with the community you so greatly serve. I hope my writing as a former department head who reported directly to you is not misconstrued by the visitors of your blog and the community as anything but tremendous pride and respect I feel for what you and other leaders in the City of Sarasota have been able to deliver - for your at times underestimated dedication to public service, your at times misunderstood sense of humor, your at times misunderstood communication style - all of which have become vividly clear to me now that I have played on other rather infamous and large public teams.

On Senator Bradley’s keynote speech, I remember a few years ago you mentioned your discomfort with the over reference to the citizenry as “customers”. In fact, I believe you used a hamburger franchise as an example to make your point: “If you don’t like burger place A you go to burger place B…whereas we’re the only game in town...like a monopoly...citizens deserve more from their government...” So you see, with all due respect to Senator Bradley, it wasn’t him that got you thinking about government being more to the people than business school 101 terms and phrases – you were there years ago.

While I’m here, as a naturalized citizen who has as a teenager experienced a totalitarian government and brutality, I encourage everyone to participate in the democratic process, communicate on the issues, and proudly and politely use your voice. There aren’t too many places in the world where a chief government executive invites citizen participation. Mike, I think you are at the forefront of e-democracy. Thank You!

I hope your bloggers forgive my intrusion but I just had to let everyone know that they have, in my experience, one of the most professional, dedicated, and citizen centric (there’s another term that appears to be used loosely) group of elected and appointed professionals any corporation would be fortunate to call employees.

Wishing you continued success and best regards,

-Ramin

5/6/06 12:24 PM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

Thanks Joe - You and Kendall Jones over at the S2 e-newsletter really deserve credit for giving me the idea of trying a blog in the first place, so thanks to you both.

Ramin, what do you mean misunderstood sense of humor?!? You mean not everyone knows how hilarious I am?? But seriously, good to hear from you, and thanks for your perspective. You also deserve credit for getting the blog set up so that it would be available for me to use.

On a last note, I have to comment on the article our daily printed now that they've picked up on this fairly minor award thing. Seems it gave them the opportunity to dredge up the labels they assigned to me a year ago and give them another run!

7/6/06 9:52 AM  
Blogger denise kowal said...

Dear Mr. McNees:

The award is no minor thing considering the organization that your received it through. You have been available and easy to access since the first day you came to Sarasota. It is a great manager that seeks ways to improve their organization and you seem to have a talent for that.

It is a shame some of your bosses do not realize the importance of this communication tool. It is hardly "a tool used just for venting frustration" as some may try to imply but a highly evolved communication venue for those of us interested in reading your views on important issues. I read your blog just about every week to see what you have to say and your responces to questions.

I hope you are getting some acknowledgement from your bosses for a job very well done. I think sometimes those in power positions, such as the commissioners, forget they have employees that need positive reinforcement too. So, just in case they are following their usual MO, I want you to know there is someone out there that thinks the award was well deserved and highly important.

Also, the paper is showing signs of limited brain power when they cannot just congratulate you in a good way on a job well one with this award.

Anyway, thank you from one of your neighbors.

7/6/06 11:11 AM  
Blogger denise kowal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/6/06 3:16 PM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

As my last words on this one, in addition to my thanks for the nice comments and all participation on the blog, regardless of point of view, I will say that it is a bit puzzling to me that in covering something like this the daily would try so hard to feature negative. I happen to be aware that what was quoted as reluctance by the commissioners to be supportive was in at least one case actually a refusal to say anything based on the angle of the questions. I suppose one might say finding the negative is being balanced, but interestingly a year ago when they were putting negative labels on me on an almost daily basis, little effort was made to report anything positive that might have been said by anyone. And I can say, somewhat immodestly I admit, that there were quite a few folks very willing to do so, in fact e-mails to me stating such were being read on a daily basis by the reporter. So the balance argument doesn't quite wash. But alas, am I getting defensive again, to use their word?? Not on your life - but here I do get to say what I think!

As for some of the other comments quoted, I'll say this: I've been on a great many teams of many kinds in my life, some really good ones and some really bad ones. I've been on bad teams where I loved all of my teammates and on good teams that weren't exactly a love-fest. In fact the best team I was ever on was full of personal relationships that weren't what they might have been, with one or two downright fueds, and that team only had 28 members, nowhere near the 800+ we have here at the city. Nonetheless, when it came to the team's work those things weren't inportant.

What the good teams all had was a mutual respect that reached beyond any personal feelings for the value of the contributions and skills of each of the team members, and a mutual commitment to the goals at hand that was greater than our individual demands or differences. Did we fight with one another occasionally, or do something we shouldn't have from time to time? Of course we did, because we were human. But when it came time to do the work, or play the game, we were all there for one another. We've been talking about teamwork a lot around City Hall for the last year or so, in fact we're planning a series of workshops with staff based on a great book called "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team," to really work on what a good team looks like and how we get there - that's what I'm committed to. Does that mean I'm personally enamored with the personality and working style of every single person I work with? Probably not. But you can bet that if I'm not, you won't be reading about it on this blog - or in the newspaper.

10/6/06 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home