Thursday, April 27, 2006

Lift Station Seven Relocation - A couple of questions have been posted regarding the City Commission's decision to relocate this facility, which was the source of significant wastewater spills in both 2004 and 2005. As far as what went into that analysis, and the analysis of alternatives, I'm simply not in a position to say, as I was not a participant in those discussions. (Those who follow this blog know that avoiding the question is not typical here, but the reasons for my absence from that work, as requested by the neighborhood representative have already been chronicled.)

I can say that as the project progresses the direct and collateral impacts will be mitigated as much as they possibly can. There is a great deal of detailed engineering work that has to take place next, and we will be asking the engineers who are selected to do that work to be extrememly cognizant of those impacts as they work toward an actual design and construction plan.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael McNees said...

Matt K. - I have to correct one of those statements; the City Commission didn't "push" to put the transfer station in Ringling Park, at least not while I was in town. A suggestion was made that SCAT consider a site south of the county parking garage on Ringling, between there, Payne Park and the County Health Department, based on concerns about giving up City Hall Parking, and the effect of the buses themselves on the redevelopment potential for what were at the time undeveloped, fallow parcels. (I'm very familiar with the thought process, because one of the main people advancing that point of view was me!) The commission gave me permission to study the issue and make the pitch, but in the final analysis sent the idea packing. So you can't blame that conversation on the commission, and the proposal was not to put anything "into Ringling Park."

28/4/06 3:04 PM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

Matt - I remember that discussion very well, just like I remember very clearly the day 10 years ago when I almost cut my finger in half with a lawn implement - those things just stay in your mind. I have to say the size of the Ringling site was the least of the issues. But don't take my word for it, cut and paste this link, it will take you right to the City Commission minutes taken the day the decision was finalized. Clearly there was little or no support among the commissioners for the Ringling site, regardless of size.

http://docdepot.sarasotagov.com/DocDepot6/Search.aspx?Proj=5&Date1=4/1/2002&Date2=4/1/2002&Types=4&Ord=-8

1/5/06 12:31 PM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

O.K. Matt, put all of those issues in the same basket if you wish, I won't try to talk you out of it. I'm not spinning anything, just writing the facts as I know them, giving my opinion and labeling it as such, or providing another point of view. As I often say here it's not my job to speak for the individual commissioners, so I don't have any need to spin these issues. I don't know what the problem with the link was for you, but one of the things you'll find in those minutes and others is testimony from Sarasota residents, including some small business owners, who didn't want the transfer station on Lemon Ave. If you look on the other side of the lift station 7 issue from where you stand, you'll find another group of residents equally convinced of the correctness of their position - and so it goes for the Commissioners.

To your question on why the commissioners didn't keep the neighborhood issues in mind if that was what drove their decision on the SCAT station, I don't speak for why or how they vote, but do know that there are only two of those who made that decision seated today.

2/5/06 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home