Monday, January 09, 2006

Where Will We Be in 2007? - Thanks to all who took a shot at answering the question about what our new, hot issues will be during 2006. Most of you pointed out things that you think should be high on our priority list, or gave your point of view on issues that are soon to be considered, like arcades, all of which is great input. So far nobody (myself included, I should add) has taken on the more difficult challege of guessing what issues we might be facing by 2007 that we haven't yet encountered or aren't yet thinking about. Of course it's difficult, if not impossible to look ahead and know what unforseen challenges lie ahead. If I'd asked the question "what should we have done differently in 2005?" there would have been no shortage of responses, I'm sure. The truth of life, and the adventure of our work, is that we all live in "drive" not in "reverse", with some corners we can see around and some we can't. That's what keeps it interesting, no?

To the person who suggested we should consolidate services with the county but probably won't, I will point out that a number of things are already consolidated, stormwater management, fire, EMS, Parks and Recreation, and Emergency Services for example. As far as Police and Sheriff consolidation goes, I have never in four years heard a city resident say they wished to give up having a separate city police force, and I don't think it has a thing to do with "power" as you stated, but rather about the level of service expected by city residents. We also work extremely well with our county staff counterparts on any number of issues, and the working relationship between County Administrator Jim Ley and me is quite good.

Finally, my thanks to those of you who have posted supportive comments on the direction the city is taking downtown, in general, and as an organization. I think we're building a great team here, and I'm glad many of you see that. We have plenty of work to do, and I'll continue to do the very best job I can to carry my share of the load.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your post very thoughtful. I admit to be one of those that can easily comment on the past even though I like what we are doing downtown. Hindsight seems it is for those in "reverse".

I want to take a jab at our future issues. I think the more we incorporate residential living in our downtown we will be challenged to provide better public space. It is a mistake if the city commission does not start purchasing more land for potential park sites. Did we not just vote to put millions of dollars of our tax money into a fund to purchase land? I see this as a big struggle in the future if they do not start buying now.

11/1/06 10:56 AM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

Great thought about the consequences, some unexpected, of increasing residential densities downtown. Very prescient I might add, because we've already begun to make minor adjustments. For example, we used to start cleaning around 5 Points Park at 6 a.m. to avoid pedestrian traffic in the morning. It turns out that the nice people who have moved into the 100 Central project feel like 6:00 is a little early to have to listen to a leaf blower every morning - and who can blame them! So we've adjusted that schedule a bit. Along with the many things we've already considered, there are certain to be others we haven't, and where other adjustments will have to be made. Hopefully everyone will be as understanding as the 100 Central residents I spoke to, because they really were great about it, and are also very happy about moving downtown. Fortunately it only took us a day or so to identify the source of the problem and make an adjustment.

As for open space, you make a great point. Very son we will be asking the public what they think the destiny of 5 Points park should be, and we've invested a lot in the Lemon Avenue open space, but this will be more and more important. Getting PAyne Park underway will be big also, as it will provide large-scale quality open space downtown.

11/1/06 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What exactly is the status of Payne Park, and when can we expect to see substantive changes?

12/1/06 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a longtime resident I was directed to read your blog and report back to my director. I will report that this is a very informative and well rounded conversation, quite contrary to all the articles I read about the city manager needing to tidy up his communication skills. Could it possibly be the pot calling the kettle black?

12/1/06 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,

Maybe I missed it, but didn't see a response to my follow up question on arcades. It was this:

Thank you for your reply to my post on arcades. I'm don't quite understand the "incentive" issue, which I do hear referred to frequently, and to which you referred in your remark "the value of the public space should be accounted for in some way, even if that means only as some sort of incentive." Could you explain that further?

13/1/06 7:04 AM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

The first phase of the Payne Park improvements, which will take it to completion of the great lawn, sidewalks and basic landscaping, has been funded and is in final design. I will try to get an estimated groundbreaking date.

Gretchen, what I mean is that if something of value (airspace, maybe) is put into a project by the city, value should be received in return. That value might be in receiving a project that meets one of our master plan objectives that might not otherwise be built, or be built to meet that objective. In such a case the "contribution" or investment of that might be accounted for as a project incentive, just like the payment of permit fees with tax increment funds would be, with a similar review process and criteria.

13/1/06 8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr McNees,

I've heard recently that the developer for the 1350 Main Street project has been in city offices and Comissioner's offices with a new design for the Palm Avenue property the city has been trying to develop- is this true? What kind of process is that?

13/1/06 9:55 AM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

I haven't heard anything recently to that effect, but it has happened in the past, as have inquiries and proposals from other developers interested in that site. Anyone with an idea, a criticism, or a request is welcome at city hall by staff and commissioners alike, and that includes developers and builders, without whom most of us would be homeless. (But that's another post entirely.)

The important point is that nobody is selected to do development work in partnership with the city that way. There are open, competitive processes for that type of selectionand they are well covered, by the local media, so they are quite public.

13/1/06 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another paste about the Meanest City thread and the Editorial in the SHT written by Officer Gorevan. Here it is, it is from 1/19/06 11:27 p.m..

Way to go Mike, Thanks for backing us up.
Believe me Sir, if you were in trouble I bet you sure would be glad to see Sgt. Gorevan coming around the corner.
No one wants us around until they need us.

Won't don't you understand? You sound like an officer, so I assume you're smart? OF COURSE, the City Manager would be glad to see Sgt. Gorevan if he were in trouble. The City Manager is a mentally stable, white guy, with money! Much to his advantage, since you guys sound like you have it in for the homeless, the poor and the mentally unstable. I find it appalling that Police Officers and our City Manager are condoning the letter that Sgt. Gorvan wrote. Sgt. Gorevan should have known better then to let his true colors show. All I can say is if you need help and you're not like our City Manger, and Sgt. Gorevan shows up, you better hope you can find a free phone and call 911!

24/1/06 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home