Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Cincinnati? Huh? - According to one of our local weekly newspapers there's a rumor going 'round that I'm job-hunting either in Cincinnati or in the Cincinnati area. I'll say simply that I'm not job-hunting there, or anywhere, and I have no idea what the genesis of that rumor might be. It is an interesting one though, even if is completely off the wall.

The paper goes on to say that I was asked about that rumor but didn't respond. What I was asked was "what's this I'm hearing about you and Cincinnati?" The only honest answer to that question is "I have no idea!"

In the spirit of COMPLETE disclosure, however, I suppose I should admit that there is one job that I would accept in a second if it were offered, and it does happen to be around 100 miles from Cincinnati. That would be the job of Director of Athletics at Indiana University, my Alma Mater. The only things that get in the way are that the Hoosiers already have a great, young A.D. so the job isn't open, that I'm probably not qualified for the job in the first place, and that I've never held a position in college athletics higher than graduate assistant coach, which was more than 25 years ago. So I don't think that call is coming, and I'm not looking for anything else.

That is of course unless Hollywood calls - but remember that old admonishment to " not quit your day job?" That one fits nicely here.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IU is a pretty amazing place. Had I had a choice, it would have been tough to decide between IU and Ohio State. Your admission to taking IU up on that kind of an offer is definitely understandable. That would be a great job.

14/12/05 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, I'll only suggest an old disk jockey adage: When does a disk jockey start looking for their next job? Well, it's the first day on the job. It is very hard to find a new job when you're out of a job. Not all communities enjoy our sub-par unemployment rate.

Not all communities are blessed with a city manager who remained as long as Ken Thompson. You had one 3-2 scare this year. As a sailor, you should know well it's always a good idea to keep an anchor to windward.

As for IU, I keep an eye on my birthtown newspaper in Normal, Illinois, not so far away. It barely made it above freezing this week. And jobs there are leaking away like a faulty faucet.

If you want to settle in and try for Thompson's record, I'd suggest tightening your seatbelt and peering further down the road. s/Stan Zimmerman

14/12/05 10:51 PM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

Maybe I wasn't clear - the thing at Indiana U. has a Zero probability of ever happening, maybe even less than zero. It is not a serious suggestion, merely thrown in as humor, or at least was intended as such.

15/12/05 7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for speaking to this issue. Too bad the paper cannot stop being a tabloid. How do you handle this stuff? My hat is off to you!

15/12/05 2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So become more understanding, employee-appreciative, better communicator, open to new ideas, and develop a sense of pride in the old community and people as well as the new folks. Mr. Thompson understood employees. He understood they are what make a company great. He was a very good leader. Do a little research on him and learn--you can do it too!

16/12/05 4:51 PM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

Good suggestions, you've listed things I actually do try to work on. I am especially curious about "open to new ideas", which I am always looking for. If you have a perpective that I don't seem to value new ideas, I'd love to hear it. I might say the same about respect for the "old" community and people. It is a part of my standard speech that what's happening today in Sarasota is being leveraged by the contributions of the old and new together, and I have great respect for the old, especially Mr. Thompson, who I met but unfortunately never had the chance to know.

16/12/05 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. McNees, you are exactly what this town needs at this time.

Ken Thompson and David Solemburger could not and do not have the skill to handle the advanced type of work and ideas we are handling today. They were great for what we had but we also have to ask, what did we have when we became a city declining year after year for the past 30 years.

We are finally becoming a destination again and we should be with all the great amenities. I think some of the staff Mr. McNees has been stuck with upon his arrival could be replaced with some fresh and more qualified people.

17/12/05 6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What we did have will never be the same.This city had it's own fire department,dispatch,parks and rec. and of course a city manager(Ken Thompson) who saw what happened in Miami when the developers turned Miamia town into a sea of concrete and asphalt. Now it is Sarasota's time for change. I have lived in this area for 30 years and what drew me to this area is now gone. What was so wrong with having a small town? Do we really need another overpriced condo?

Ken Thompson was the right manager for this town at that time. I wish we had more leaders like him.

20/12/05 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home