Friday, September 02, 2005

City Employee Wages - Here's a subject everyone who works for the City of Sarasota can get interested in. The first thing I'll say is that I believe the City Commission is committed to providing a good working environment for all employees, and that includes competetive salaries and benefits. They understand who really makes things work around here, and that's why in this year's budget they approved a transition for our compensation plan to allow people to reach what we call "market rate" more quickly than in the past. If you haven't heard the detail of this yet, you will be very soon.

Another piece of the puzzle is how we measure the competitiveness of our salary structure, which is something the Charter Officials and Department Heads spent the better part of an hour discussing this morning. I'm not sure I agree completely with the person who said city salaries are well below those of other municipalities, but I do know that we are not adjusting for competitiveness in the systematic way we need to, which is why Mr. Hoverter was leading us through that discussion this morning. We have had a series of workshops with the commission on these issues, and they understand and support the need to address them. So to the person who said this needs to be a point of emphasis for us for 2006, you are exactly right. And to those who have suggested we need to be creative and look for many ways to attack the issue, I agree with you also, and I have great faith in Human Resource Director Kurt Hoverter, our compensation guru Stacie Ross, and the rest of the H.R. people to lead us down that road.

This kind of creativity will be necessary on many fronts, as the discussion of a 4-10 schedule to save energy and reduce commuting costs points out. HOPP, I have to find out about that one. I was aware of in-city housing incentives for SPD, but don't know what HOPP stands for.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, an invitation to you and everybody. It's Labor Day, and time for the Labor Day Regatta at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron. Come and relax

Hundreds of boats in the bay, a BBQ and open to one and all. Stop by and enjoy us sailors. Saturday afternoon is prime time; park in the park. Trophies on Sunday.

2/9/05 8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you blogging. This is the best way to get "your" message out there. As you have heard communication is very important...

4/9/05 9:35 PM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

Thanks Stan for the invite - unfortunately my piled-up chores got the better of my intentions to stop by. Hope all went well, one of these days I WILL untie my docklines also!

Thanks too Joe, Stan mentioned earlier how hard it is to get anything out that's unfiltered or unedited, hopefully this will be useful.

5/9/05 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I see where the newspaper (I'm kind) is now reading this Blog. Well, maybe they will be able to get the facts correct by reading them here.

7/9/05 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. McNees,
In keeping w/ the thought of energy conservation and even city finances I would like to broach a somewhat sensitive topic.

Why are unmarked cars used by yourself, the Chief of Police, Deputy Chief, the Captains and even members of CID at the City police department. I think that if the city is furnishing you a vehicle (to some a VERY nice vehicle) and furnishing gasoline then all the cars should be appropriately marked as city vehicles. The only reason that I can think that you and the others would not want this is to keep from being bothered by city citizens.

I suspect that you will say that they are only used for city business, however you know that is not true. I have viewed city detectives at the drive-thru with a child in the car, coming out of the grocery with dog food, etc. Please do not attempt to appease me by stating that they should not be used as personal vehicles. They do and I suspect that you, the Chief, etc do the same.

Why should I drive my vehicle back and forth to work, pay for my gas, and then pay city taxes so that you and others are given a take home vehicle, unmarked, and we supply the gasoline for trips to the movies, bowling alley, etc?

The Cheif of Police in Bradenton drives a marked car. Everyone that sees him knows who he is. I think Sarasota's Chief of Police could learn by example, as well as yourself, and any other person supplied with a vehicle.

As far as I can find out, there are no public logs kept for daily activities for driving these cars although I guess gasoline is kept track of but who is to say how much is too much?

Detectives arriving in the driveway of a home should be readily visible as city employees, not appear to be driving a civilian car. Please do not state for undercover purposes cause I don't believe it. The police deparment has undercover units that need unmarked cars, the people that I mention do not.

Please address this question and what I consider a slap to the tax payers. Um, a $30,000 to $60,000.00 dollar vehicle, gasoline to drive anywhere in Sarasota and who knows beyond, on top of your salaries appears ludicrus. If you have take home cars, they should be plainly marked as city cars.
Thank you.

10/10/05 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home