Friday, September 02, 2005

Affordable Housing - This issue has righfully taken center stage in the public consciousness. Sarasota's prosperity is great, but it's tough when many of the people who help make it prosper have to live 30 miles away. For some people who have lived here for many years this is less of an issue, but for our newest employees in particular it is difficult. The housing that exists within or near the city limits that would be more affordable typically doesn't turn over much. I just went to Realtor.com, where they show 101 listings for property in what they consider Sarasota for sale between $100,000 and $200,000 and another 316 between 200 and 300 thousand. I'm sure the majority of those are condos, but there are also single family homes. What that tells me is that there are some options out there, but if someone wants 2500 square feet or a pool and yard I doubt there is much of that on that list.

To the person who asked about my take on Mr. McGruder's piece in the Pelican Press, I would say that I agree completely with what I see as his overriding point, which is that this is an issue that must be addressed on many, many fronts, as there is no simple one or two step answer. The good news is that the community, including the City Commission, is taking that seriously. On September 21st the City Commission will receive a final report form their economic consultant on tools they can adopt to help advance the issue, and I know they're chomping at the bit to get there. Their action to expand the CRA is also a big step in making tools available, because while the idea of putting affordable housing right downtown is appealing to many, sheer economics dictates that many more units can be developed for the same money just a few miles away because of the land costs.

Stan Z. I don't have that average salary number for you, I think the H.R. folks went home a while ago (at least I hope so) but I'll get it. You do make a great point, which is one we don't seem to talk much about, which is that this is a WAGE issue also. Thanks for the transition, because it takes me to the next post, though I suppose in blogland it will actually preceed this one as it is read. Which may be too confusing for me this late on a Friday afternoon....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received an e-mail last week about low interest loans and no money down from OHCD. This federal program is available until the end of this month. Why didn't they send it out sooner?

The loan is only available to police officers,fire fighters, health care workers and teachers. That isn't fair.I guess were truly at the bottom of concern for housing.


Ten years ago they had a similiar program for those occupations only. I sent a letter to then Mayor Gene Pilot to ask why the general employees couldn't be included in this program.

Much to my surprise my letter never made it to him. I was reprimanded by Chief Lewis and my superior Capt. Fulton. The letter was adressed to him and it was opened by human resources and city mgr. Sollenberger. Captain Fulton stated that I had to go thru the chain of command for prior approval. That is how I found out about privacy laws and how the chain of command really works. Captain Fulton didn't have a problem with my request. City Hall sure did.

8/9/05 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have worked in downtown sarasota for over 30 years and I never have been able to afford to live downtown. I do not think it is eveyones right to be able to live in an area just because they work there. I drive about ten miles to work and I feel that is okay and I like living outside the congestiono of the city which is good for my children. I think in all reality people just do not look very hard to find a home or they just do not like what they can afford. I think this is true all over America. If I had a choice, I would like to live on the water on Bird Key, should the city make sure that is affordable for me? And, if you think that is ridiculous then why can you not comprehend that the affordable discussion about downtown is equally ridiculous. I hope the county starts looking at all the land under their control and consider options there because the city is too desirable and becoming expensive. Which bring me to a question. If people want at least semi-affordable, why not build more units that are smaller instead of big units that are really expensive? Has the city considered increasing the density for buildings like they did with the one on lower main street?

9/9/05 10:25 AM  
Blogger Michael McNees said...

Anonymous 1 - I don't know about the time you mentioned, but that's not the way City Hall works now.

Anonymous 2 - You make some great points. We seem to be headed for some density-bonus-type programs. There is a Commission workshop later this month on exactly that, and some other good options, and they are at the adoption stage.

12/9/05 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home